I love collecting love quotes out of movies, music and books. A well-placed quote about love makes you seem wise and all-knowing. Love quotes can instruct, inform or enrage a person in the middle of a romantic relationship.
Below are some of my favorite love quotes.
Love Quotes – Best Love Quotes
We’ll start with a collection of quotes on the general subject of love. This should set the mood for the more specific love subjects that come later.
- Love comes unseen; we only see it go. – Austin Dobson
- Love is a sweet tyranny, because the lover endureth his torments willingly. – Old Proverb
- Love is much like a wild rose, beautiful and calm, but willing to draw blood in its defense. – Mark Overby
- Take away love and our earth is a tomb. – Robert Browning
- Love is a friendship set to music. – Joseph Campbell
- Love can not be cured by herbs. – Ovid
- Love me when I least deserve it, because that’s when I really need it. – Old Swedish Proverb
- Hate leaves ugly scars, love leaves beautiful ones. – Mignon McLaughlin
- Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition. – Alexander Smith
Quotes About Falling in Love
“Falling in love” is often beyond our control and often makes us do strange things. The following observers comment on the mystery of falling in love and the crazy ways love makes us act.
- If I love you, what business is it of yours? – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- We choose those we like; with those we love, we have no say in the matter. – Mignon McLaughlin
- Love is a gross exaggeration of the difference between one person and everybody else. – George Bernard Shaw
- At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet. – Plato
- Why love if losing hurts so much? We love to know that we are not alone. – C.S. Lewis
- In those whom I like, I can find no common denominator; in those whom I love I can: they all make me laugh. – W. H. Auden
- To be loved, be lovable. – Ovid
On the Act of Loving – Love Quotes
Everyone has their perspective on the act of loving and the emotion of “being in love”. The following list is a catch-all of quotes on the very act of loving.
- The demand to be loved is the greatest of all arrogant presumptions. – Friedrich Nietzsche
- Talk not of wasted affection; affection never was wasted. – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don’t know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings. – Anais Nin
- The opposite of love is not hate, it’s indifference. – Elie Wiesel
- There is no remedy for love but to love more. – Henry David Thoreau
- If I am not worth the wooing, I am surely not worth the winning. – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Tell me whom you love and I will tell you who you are. – Houssaye
- Friendship is the finest balm for the pangs of despised love. – Jane Austen
- We can only learn to love by loving. – Iris Murdock
- Don’t forget to love yourself. – Soren Kierkegaard
Love Quotes – Quotes On The Power Of Love
As the song goes, “all you need is love”. These love quotes discuss how being in love and giving love to another transforms the human spirit.
- Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend. – Martin Luther King Jr.
- Where there is great love there are always miracles. – Willa Cather
- Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place. – Zora Neale Hurston
- We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. – William Gladstone
- Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young. – Sir Arthur Pinero
- Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius. – Mozart
- Age does not protect you from love, but love to some extent protects you from age. – Jeanne Moreau
- Love cures people — both the ones who give it and the ones who receive it. – Karl Menninger
- Whoso loves, believes the impossible. – Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Quotes About the Selflessness of Loving
True love is caring about someone else more than you care about yourself, or at least that’s the theory of the eminent love scholars below. Love is giving of yourself.
- Love is, above all, the gift of oneself. – Jean Anouilh
- Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own. – Robert Heinlein
- In real love you want the other person’s good. In romantic love you want the other person. – Margaret Anderson
- Forgiveness is choosing to love. It is the first skill of self-giving love. – Mohandas Ghandi
- Every time we love, every time we give, it’s Christmas. – Dale Evans
- When you make the sacrifice in marriage, you’re sacrificing not to each other but to unity in a relationship. – Joseph Campbell
Love Quotes – Love Is Blind Quotes
Love burns bright, but sometimes love burns like a fever. And sometimes, a fever can sometimes make you crazy. That’s the subject of many of the quotes below – love quotes about the passion of love and how love and reason are often mutually exclusive. Some of our philosophers try to explain why this happens, and do a pretty good job of doing so.
- Where there is love, there is pain. – Old Spanish Proverb
- Love: a temporary insanity, curable by marriage. – Ambrose Bierce
- Like the measles, love is most dangerous when it comes late in life. – Lord Byron
- When love is not madness, it is not love. – Pedro Calderon de la Barca
- People who are sensible about love are incapable of it. – Douglas Yates
- Love is being stupid together. – Paul Velery
- Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. – Henry Louis Mencken
- Love is like an hourglass, with the heart filling up as the brain empties – Jules Renard
- Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love. – Albert Einstein
- Love is an exploding cigar we willingly smoke. – Lynda Barry
- The only way you can describe a human being truly is by describing his imperfections. The perfect human being is uninteresting–the Buddha who leaves the world, you know. It is the imperfections of life that are lovable…Aren’t children lovable because they’re falling down all the time and have little bodies with the heads too big…They’re lovable because they’re so imperfect…The humanity, the thing that makes you human and not supernatural and immortal–that’s what’s lovable. – Joseph Campbell
- We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly – Sam Keen
On The Pleasure of Being in Love
Let’s face it: there’s nothing better than being loved. We can’t always explain why it happens, but being loved is a blessing from the heavens. Just ask these people.
- There is no surprise more magical than the surprise of being loved. Love is God’s finger on man’s shoulder. – Charles Morgan
- There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved. – George Sand
- The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for. – Allan K. Chalmers
- Love doesn’t make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile. – Franklin P. Jones
- You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection. – Buddha
- If you have love, you don’t need to have anything else, and if you don’t have it, it doesn’t matter much what else you have. – Sir James M. Barrie
Enduring Love Quotes
From time immemorial, people have agreed that true love is enduring love. Here are some quotes about the subject of “enduring love” or endurance in love.
- He is not a lover who does not love forever. – Euripedes
- The first duty of love is to listen. – Paul Tillich
- Love doesn’t sit there like a stone. It has to made like bread; remade all the time, made new. – Ursula Leguin
- Absence is to love as wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small and kindles the great. – Roger De Bussy-Rabutin
- It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages. – Friedrich Nietzsche
Love Quotes From Skeptics
There always a few people who have a jaded view on love. Here are a few quotes from people with an “alternative” view of love and romance.
- Loves conquers all things except poverty and toothache. – Mae West
- Those who are faithful know only the trivial side of love; it is the faithless who know love’s tragedies. – Oscar Wilde
- Love is only a dirty trick played on us to achieve continuation of the species. – W. Somerset Maugham
Love Quotes From William Shakespeare
Shakespeare has a million quotes about love. Below are some of the most famous, though I want to increase this section of my love quotes page. Expect to see a number of love quotes from Shakespeare’s Sonnets, though don’t ask me whether those quotes are about a man or woman.
- They do not love that do not show their love. The course of true love never did run smooth. Love is a familiar. Love is a devil. There is no evil angel but Love.
- Parting is such sweet sorrow. – Romeo & Juliet
- If love be rough with you, be rough with love/Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. – Romeo & Juliet
- My bounty is as boundless as the sea/My love as deep; the more I give to thee/The more I have, for both are infinite. – Romeo & Juliet
- Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind/And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind. – A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- Love is not love/Which alters when it alteration finds/Or Bends with the remover to remove./O, no! It is an ever-fixed mark/That looks on tempests and is never shaken./It is the star to every wandering bark/whose worth’s unknown, although his height be taken. – Sonnet 116
Christian Love Quotes – Bible Love Quotes
The Bible has a lot to say on the subject of love, too. I also included a couple of famous non-Biblical clergymen who had interesting quotes about loves. Of course, many of the people from the lists above (like Shakespeare) were devout Christians, too.
- Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. – Corinthians 13:7-8
- Let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. – 1 John 3:18
- And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. — 1 Corinthians 13:13
- The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread. – Mother Teresa
- Better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all. – St. Augustine
- Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul. – St. Augustine
- Love is patient, love is kind./It does not envy./Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude;/It is not self-seeking, nor easily angered./It keeps no record of wrongdoing./It does not delight in evil,/But rejoices in the truth./It always protects, trusts, hopes, and preserves./There is nothing love cannot face;/There is no limit to its faith, hope, and endurance./In a word, there are three things that last forever:/Faith, hope, and love;/But the greatest of them all is love. — 1 Corinthians 13:4-7