Dating gets better when you get better. That’s why we’ve put together this ultimate life improvement toolkit. These 100 tips, tools, and resources can to help you find a new apartment, date the person of your dreams, and everything in between. Get ready for a dose of self-improvement.
Improve How You Live
These self-improvement sites are the best around, and they’re constantly adding new content to help you improve the quality of your life.
- Zen Habits – One of the top 100 blogs in the world, Zen Habits can help you find happiness and eliminate the clutter in your life.
- Steve Pavlina – Grow as a “conscious” human being. Truth, love, power, courage and intelligence are some of its themes.
- Self Growth – A personal growth supersite covering such topics as natural health, goal setting and stress management.
- Pick The Brain – Deals with the following topics: motivation, personal productivity, self education, philosophy and psychology.
- The Self Improvement Site – A medical doctor helping people get more out of their daily lives.
- Solve Your Problem – Thousands of articles filled with how-to advice, relationship tips, and soul searching exercises.
- Mind Perk – Specializes in self-improvement books, CDs, DVDs, and downloads from authorities such as Deepak Chopra, Zig Ziglar, and Lisa Ford.
- 43 Folders – Increase your productivity and the quality of your life.
- Lifehacker – Award-winning daily blog devoted to helping you become a smarter and more efficient person.
- Change Your Thoughts – Steven Aitchison, a Scottish addiction counselor, offers articles on how to change your thinking patterns, habits, values, and productivity.
Improve Where You Live
If you’re thinking about moving, make sure you check out these blogs before making a down payment or signing a rental agreement.
- Relocating to a New City? Twitter Can Pave the Way! – How people are using Twitter to get advice on real estate agents, movers, lawyers and anything else required to move your home or business.
- Moving Tips: Relocating and Moving for a New Job – Discusses whether or not you should hire a moving company, buy a moving kit, or deduct the move from your income tax.
- Relocating the Family Pet – If you work for a large company and are getting ready to move, will your employer cover the expenses of moving your pet?
- House Moving: A True Traffic Stopper – Before you have your home physically moved, be sure to read this blog post which discusses such items as moving permits, hiring professional house movers, and the cost of transportation.
- Five Must-Dos Before Moving Cities – Moving tips for people relocating to another city or country.
- Top Steps to Take Before Moving to a New City – Bestselling author Ariane de Bonvoisin offers suggestions on how to make the transition to a new city as painless as possible.
- What to Know Before Hiring Movers – Before you hire professional movers, you’ll need to consider things such as insurance, lost items, and local move vs. Interstate. This post also includes a checklist of questions to ask when preparing to hire a moving service.
- Why You Should Ask for a Rent Receipt – You pay your rent to your landlord every month, but are you getting a rent receipt in return? You should be, and this post tells you why.
- Ask for Specials or Discounts When Renting an Apartment – Before you pay full price for that new apartment, have you considered asking the landlord for possible discounts or specials? You could save thousands of dollars by reading this post.
- Packing and Moving Tips – Moving is a big hassle, and nobody wants to end up with broken dishes and chipped furniture. Follow these tips and you won’t have to worry.
Reduce How Much You Owe
Being in debt is hard, but the following resources offer solid advice for getting your financial life turned around.
- Which Debt to Pay Off First? – Examines debts such as IRS, student loan, mortgage, and gives you advice on which to pay off first. Hint: always pay off the IRS as soon as humanly possible.
- Debt Consolidation Secured Loan – How debt consolidation secured loans work.
- Paying Off Your Debt – Four rules for paying off debt, as well as several scenarios to demonstrate these rules in action.
- 13 Tips from the FBI Before Filing Bankruptcy – Unless you want to deal with the FBI, follow these bankruptcy tips to the letter.
- Filing Bankruptcy & Foreclosure in America 2009 – An chart showing state-by-state the number of foreclosure and bankruptcy cases in the first half of 2009. Someone files bankruptcy in the U.S. every 22 seconds.
- Live Debt Free – Biblical Advice – What does the Bible say about debt.
- Nine Reasons to Say “No” to Credit – With so many people eager to charge on their plastic, the amount of credit card debt in the U.S. is at a staggering level. If you need an excuse not to charge your next purchase, this article will give you nine.
- Disadvantages of Bankruptcy – While it has its uses, bankruptcy also has a number of negatives.
- Dispelling Three Bankruptcy Myths – A bankruptcy attorney debunks common myths such as “filing for bankruptcy will permanently ruin your credit.”
- How to Pay Off Student Loan Debt in an Easy Way – When college students graduate, they often find themselves immediately in debt thanks to student loans. This post discusses a few ways in which students can ease their financial burden.
Increase How Much You Know
Expand your education, obtain a college degree, and just plain learn more.
- 50 Terrific Twitter Tutorials for Teachers – If you’ve been in a classroom lately, you know that Twitter is all the rage among educators and students.
- Online Graduate School – 10 Tips for Selecting an Online Program – Ten things to consider before enrolling in a graduate program at an online university.
- 20 College Rankings to Help You Choose the Right School – Filled with resources for U.S., Asian, African and European schools, this list is an excellent guide whether you’re studying at home or abroad.
- Campus Crime: 25 Worst Colleges – Which universities have the highest crime rate?
- 4 Tips to Find the Best Online University for You – Before you sign up for an online university, take a look at these tips ranging from educational goals to online degree scams.
- Life Experience Degree Scams – Avoid falling prey to the latest trend in online degree scams.
- The Coca Cola Scholarship – Receive up to $20,000 to help pay for tuition, books, and other expenses.
- College Options for the ‘B’ and Even ‘C’ Student – Just because someone isn’t an ‘A’ student doesn’t mean they can’t succeed in college. In fact, some universities even prefer such students.
- Top Online Nursing Schools – The healthcare field always needs qualified people, and this post discusses the qualifications and cost for obtaining an online nursing degree.
- 100 Essential Money Rules for Life After College – Now that you’ve graduated college, you’d better start planning what to do with all that money you’re going to be earning.
Improve Your Health
Staying healthy can be a chore, but it’s worth it in the long run. The following posts offer tips on everything from proper diet to exercise.
- Exercise Benefits of Proper Physical Training – Starting an exercise program is hard, but it has many long-term benefits that will pay off down the line.
- Gaining Six-Pack Abs – From a healthy diet to the proper crunch techniques, everything you need to know to get those sexy six-pack abs.
- 50 Excellent Sources for Heart-Healthy Recipes – Over 17 million people die each year due to heart attack or stroke. Learn to prepare heart-healthy foods and avoid that fate.
- Healthy Chicken and Potato Recipes – Includes a yummy recipe for garlic mashed potatoes. Perfect for those health conscious readers.
- Savvy Vegetarian – Eating healthy, living green, and maintaining a vegetarian lifestyle. Offers a wide array of recipes, articles, and links.
- Gym Safety Tips – Lifting weights at the gym is a proven way to lose weight and get in shape, but there’s a right way to do it and a wrong way.
- Yoga and Its Health Benefits – All the acknowledged benefits of yoga.
- Walking to Lose Weight – Discusses the health benefits of walking, plus offers a week-by-week walking program to take all the guesswork out of it.
- Junkfood Science – Debunks popular myths and exposes health frauds, plus they offer critical examinations of all news stories food, health, weight, and healthcare.
- Facts to Know Before Going for Weight Loss Surgery – While weight loss surgery can achieve results, but there are facts you need to know before going under the knife. Get a doctor’s advice too.
Who You Know
Networking is a great way to land a job or gain a promotion, so check out the following posts dedicated to the subject.
- 7 Ways to Network Your Way into a Work at Home Career – In the modern working environment, many people prefer to do their job from the comfort and safety of their own home. This post provides some valuable tips for how to make the transition through networking.
- Losing a Job with Social Networking – While most forms of networking can land you a job, did you know that the wrong kind of social networking site can actually cost you possible employment?
- Use Social Networking Sites to Find a Job – Many job hunters are now using social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook to find a job.
- How to Get that Great Sales Job – Sales training consultant Gavin Ingham offers advice on how to get a job in sales, including using your network and tailoring your CV and application.
- Getting Hired When You Don’t Have a College Degree – Networking is so important that it can even help you overcome the lack of a college degree.
- Five Tips to Grow Your Network in a New City – If you’ve relocated to a new city and find yourself without a network, this post offers tips such as starting a blog, using social media, and asking for help.
- Why Just Growing Your Network is Horsesh*t – According to Ryan Graves it’s the quality of your network and not the quantity that’s important.
- Establish Social Media Credibility in Seven Easy Steps – Since social media sites are so important to modern networking, you’ll want to seem as credible as possible.
- Why Job Clubs are Bad for You – Job clubs are one of the latest trends in the world of networking. But despite their popularity, they can actually hurt your ability to find employment.
- 3 Tips for Using Twitter to Find a Job – Twitter is the the trendiest social media site for networking and finding a job. These three tips are designed to help maximize your Twitter experience.
Improve Where You Work
Getting a new job or dealing with office politics can often be difficult, but these blog posts have got you covered.
- Zen and Success at Work – Meditation and Eastern philosophy can be used to help achieve success in the boardroom. This post discusses the technique, as well as illustrating how it’s used by the legendary Tiger Woods.
- 10 Quick Phone Interview Tips – Many companies conduct their job interviews over the phone, and these tips will give you the knowledge needed to succeed without the benefit of eye contact and a firm handshake.
- Value of Negotiating Salaries – If you fail to negotiate with your employer, you could lose hundreds of thousands of dollars over your lifetime.
- Mastering the Art of Office Politics – The myths of office politics are examined, and tips are provided for how to play the game and get ahead.
- Suing Employer for Sexual Harassment – If you feel you’ve been sexually harassed at your workplace and need to seek legal recourse, this article provides a number of useful suggestions.
- 10 Tips to a Kick Ass Resume – If want a rock-solid resume, just follow these 10 simple tips.
- Finding a Job While Having an “Ethnic” Name – Your name can affect whether or not you’re called in for an interview, and this thought-provoking post offers tips on increasing your chances.
- Dress for Success: Career Fashion Tips – A series of tips on how to dress properly for the career-minded woman.
- Tips to Define Your Resume Story – Your resume is more than just a list of previous jobs. It should tell a story about who you are, and these tips will help you on your way.
- How to Be Happy with Your Job – A number of questions are presented to gauge whether you’re happy with your job. If the answer is “no,” then the post also offers tips on how to turn things around.
Love More, Love Better
Whether it’s a family member or close friend, these resources will help you develop the extra skills needed to make your relationship succeed.
- Making Friends in College – Niko DeMordaunt talks about the challenges of making friends in a college setting.
- ADHD and Making Friends – If you or a loved one suffers from ADHD, then you know what a struggle it can be to make and keep friends. This heartfelt post talks about the challenges and offers some advice.
- Set Goals to Keep Marriage Strong – Being in a marriage can often present challenges, but setting goals can help alleviate some of the daily stress.
- The Family Divorce: Irreconcilable Family Rifts – A divorce can place a strain on the whole family, and this post offers some sage advice for overcoming the psychological and emotional pain.
- Five Age-Defying Dating Tips – No matter what your age, these five tips will help you find success when out on a date.
- Top 5 Dating Tips for Shy Guys – If you’re one of the millions of shy guys out there, you need to become familiar with these helpful dating tips.
- Disciplining Stepchildren – If you have a stepchild, it can often be difficult to know how to react when they act up.
- First Date Tips for Guys – Follow these eight simple tips and you’re almost certain to get a second date.
- First Date Tips for Mature Daters – If you’ve been around the block a few times looking for love, be sure to read these tips written specifically for you.
- How to Make Friends at Work – The workplace can be a great place to make new friends, and author Alexander Kjerulf gives his advice.
Increase How Much You Save and Invest
With advice on investments, tax deductions, and more, this section is useful for anyone wanting to stretch their money as far as it will go.
- Job Hunting? It May Be Tax Deductible! – Did you know that job search items such as travel expenses and mailing expenses may be tax deductible?
- Top 5 Overlooked Tax Deductions – There are numerous tax deductions available. This list details five you might have forgotten about.
- Work from Home Tax Deductions – If you work from home, there are numerous tax deductions available to you.
- Five Investment Tips for Making Money in a Bad Economy – Even though times may be tough, there’s still money to be made from investments.
- Retirement Planning – Whether you’ve been working a few years or over 20, you should always be thinking ahead to retirement.
- 7 Stock Market Tips to Live By – If you want to make money by investing in the stock market, read these tips before you get started.
- Having a Budget Means Making Choices About Money http://notrichyet.wordpress.com/2009/09/22/having-a-budget-means-making-a-choice-about-money/ – The author of this post shows how he sticks to his budget and offers tips for how others can do the same.
- Being Frugal Does Not Mean You’re Cheap – Excellent tips on how to focus on quality and know your resources.
- So What if People Make Fun of Our Frugality – Examples of frugality and numerous not-so-kind comments on the practice.
- Five Ways Google Can Save You Money – You might not know it, but using Google can actually save you money if you use features such as Google PowerMeter, Google TipJar, and Google 411.
If you’ve ever wondered how to deal with depression or stress, you’ll be happy to know that the following blog posts have got you covered.
- Using Meditation for Personal Growth – Defines what meditation is, discusses the benefits, and offers tips for beginners.
- Meditation is for Masochists – The New Age Bitch offers blunt advice about mediation, including breathing and meditation during sex.
- Dealing with Stress – The author of this post, a self-described “survivalist,” tells some stress-related stories from his past and offers a few tips for keeping it under control.
- Dealing with Stress in the 21st Century – A self-hypnosis expert talks about stress, its symptoms, and how to reduce the effects.
- How to Be Happy and Stop Being Fearful – Francesca Biller-Safran, a noted humorist and author, discusses the nature of fear and offers tips for overcoming it.
- Exercise, Weight Loss, and Happiness – Does losing weight and getting plenty of exercise automatically lead to a sense of happiness? Author Gretchen Rubin tackles the question.
- Male Depression: How to Deal with It – A blog post dealing with the origins of depression and how men are unfairly conditioned to avoid discussing such problems. Numerous male readers weigh in with their own experiences.
- Depression and Anxiety Coping Strategies – Dr. Tracey Marks, an Atlanta-based psychiatrist, offers a free podcast which analyzes depression and suggests realistic strategies for overcoming it.
- Holistic Psychotherapy & the Treatment of Phobias – Breaks down the three most common types of phobias and discusses how psychotherapy can be used to treat them.
- Learn How to Cure Phobias Yourself – The post describes what phobias are, and it also offers some simple tips for overcoming them without expensive therapy sessions.