Is your girlfriend tired of action movies and sports films? Here?s a list of 100 romantic movies your girlfriend will love, and some of them might even be movies you?ll like too. Check out GiveADish for your local showing of these movies.
Classic Romantic Movies
1. Casablanca, 1942 – The American Film Institute recently recognized this Humphrey Bogart film as the greatest romance of all time, and your girlfriend will be moved to tears. Casablanca is a classic that’s sure to please.
2. Gone With the Wind, 1939 – Lay your misgivings by the wayside and settle in for the classic Southern Gothic romance. This movie has it all — romance, laughs, and war.
3. Roman Holiday, 1953 – Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn fall in love against great odds. She’ll stay for the love story, you’ll love Peck at his absolute best.
4. From Here to Eternity, 1953 – Set in Hawaii just before the bombing of Pearl Harbor, this is the definition of a classic love story. Remarkably different than the 2001 Michael Bay account of the attack in his movie Pearl Harbor.
5. An Affair to Remember, 1957 – Foreshadowing many of the romantic comedies of our time, a
couple falls in love in Europe and agrees to meet 6 months later at the Empire State Building. Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr star in this remake of a 1936 film called Love Affair.
6. Doctor Zhivago, 1965 – A pseudo spy movie about a married Russian doctor who falls in love with a political activist’s wife. Look for a great performance by Sir Alec Guinness.
7. Camille, 1937 – In one of the most romantic films ever made, a young girl from Paris must choose between two loves, even as she succumbs to tuberculosis.
8. City Lights, 1931 – Watch the film for Charlie Chaplin’s expert comedy — and you’ll find yourself sticking around to see if he can save the blind flower girl he loves.
9. The African Queen, 1951 – Humphrey Bogart. Katharine Hepburn. Germans. Torpedos. The Jungle. Need I say more?
10. My Fair Lady, 1964 – Guys — don’t be afraid of a musical number or two. There are plenty of laughs to be found in this comedy about a professor attempting to refine a rude young lady.
11. Wuthering Heights, 1939 – The classic novel of spurned lovers finds Catherine and Heathcliff wandering about on
the British moors. Good for getting close in the dark.
12. Singin’ in the Rain, 1952 – A film production company finds they must begin making movies with sound — with often hilarious and heartbreaking results.
13. Vertigo, 1958 – Guys will love the suspense provided by Alfred Hitchcock’s direction — girls will love the romantic plot and the beautiful costumes.
14. To Catch a Thief, 1955 – In another Alfred Hitchcock classic, a man accused of being a jewel thief tracks down the real criminal. Cary Grant and Grace Kelly . . . what could be more romantic?
15. The Member of the Wedding, 1952 – A tomboy, Frankie, falls in love with a neighbor boy and learns what it means to be a woman.
16. It Happened One Night, 1934 – Clark Gable shines in this war era flick about social class. Guys, remember that if a girl loves Clark Gable, that love will be transferred to the man she’s with.
17. King Kong, 1933 – The original and still the best — Fay Wray and Robert Armstrong try to rescue a monster ape from the evils of modern society.
18. The Sound of Music, 1965 – An epic tale of love and war set at the start of World War Two.
19. The Shop Around the Corner, 1940 – Two people who seem to hate each other fall in love anonymously through the mail. Jimmy Stewart is not to be missed in this film.
20. The King and I, 1956 – Another musical turned classic movie features Julie Andrews in the starring role. An British woman moves to Siam to teach English to the King’s children.
Contemporary Romantic Movies
21. Shakespeare in Love, 1998 – In this Oscar winning blockbuster, a wet behind the ears William Shakespeare finds inspiration in a beautiful young woman and begins to write his most famous of plays.
22. Juno, 2007 – An offbeat comedy and an instant classic. Two young teens deal with the pressure of unplanned pregnancy.
23. Roxanne, 1987 – Steve Martin is hilarious in this touching update of the story of Cyrano de Bergerac — a rather ugly man uses a handsome stand-in to woo the woman he loves.
24. Aladdin, 1992 – One of Disney’s great contemporary classics features a low class thief and his growing love for a high class princess. Robin Williams is hilarious as the genie.
25. Moonstruck, 1987 – A woman (played by Cher — what woman doesn’t love Cher?) falls in love with two brothers and must choose between them.
26. Ghost, 1990 – Patrick Swayze comes back from the dead to protect his widow. Be patient, guys — the comedy towards the middle and end of the movie is well worth the tears.
27. Pretty Woman, 1990 – This Julia Roberts – Richard Gere film pairs a prostitute with a wealthy businessman, with an unlikely end to the story.
28. Titanic, 1997 – Sure, you heard the theme song a billion times in the 90s. Trust me, your girlfriend will love this touching film about love across social boundaries.
29. Beauty and the Beast, 1991 – Another Disney animated film — this film proves that love can overcome all barriers, including the animal kingdom.
30. Manhattan, 1979 – Woody Allen at his most romantic — there are plenty of laughs in this romance between a man and his best friend’s mistress. This film was one of the main inspirations for When Harry Met Sally, among others.
31. The American President, 1995 – In this romantic comedy, the President falls in love with a lobbyist, and must decide whether or not to make the love affair public.
32. The Unbearable Lightness of Being, 1988 – Set in the 1960s, against a revolutionary backdrop, this film raises questions about physical relationships that don’t involve emotion. May be too close to home for some.
33. The Princess Bride, 1987 – An instant classic — a fairy tale with plenty of laughs. Your girlfriend will fall for the love story while you get stuck on the sword fights and brutal battles.
34. Working Girl, 1988 – A secretary (played by the big-haired Sigourney Weaver) seeks revenge against her boss by stealing his job.
35. Dirty Dancing, 1987 – Love between a dance instructor and his student. Jennifer Grey is still hot, over twenty years later.
36. Body Heat, 1981 – A story of murder and intrigue against a backdrop of extreme heat on a beach in Florida.
37. Say Anything, 1989 – John Cusack is the quintessential slacker who falls in love with the school valedictorian. By the time he stands in the rain to win her back, your girlfriend will be in tears.
38. The Bridges of Madison County, 1995 – While her husband and children are away, a farm wife falls in love with a big city photographer. A great role for Clint Eastwood.
39. Harold and Maude, 1971 – The most unlikely of couples on the silver screen, Harold (a rich and nerdy teenager) falls in love with Maude (a 79 year old anarchist) with heartbreaking results. The quintessential cult classic.
40. Forrest Gump – A World War Two era love story played out in flashbacks. My girlfriends have never been able to stay awake for the entirety of the movie — leading to some romantic couch situations.
Romantic Sports Movies — Movies for Both of You
41. Bull Durham, 1988 – Not a ‘traditional’ romantic comedy — but certainly a funny and romantic movie. The soundtrack will get the two of you dancing slow. Kevin Costner and Susan Sarandon make a great couple.
42. For the Love of the Game, 1999 – When a man must choose between the game he loves and the woman he’d die for, the unexpected always happens. More Kevin Costner baseball and romance.
43. Jerry Maguire, 1996 – The line I remember from this film — “I’m incapable of small talk” — is far more romantic than the infamous “Show me the money!”
44. The Natural, 1984 – Robert Redford and Glenn Close steam up this unlikely baseball film about a heroic player with a magical bat.
45. Breaking Away, 1979 – What could be more romantic than a cycling movie set in Italy? Themes of love, friendship, and betrayal take the stage here.
46. Rocky, 1976 – If you don’t cry when a young boxer (Sly Stallone) calls out for his wife Adrian (played by Thalia Shire), then you may not be human.
47. Ice Castles, 1978 – Yes, its about ice skating. And yes, your girlfriend will love it. A young man helps an injured skater realize her dreams.
48. Field of Dreams, 1989 – Another tear jerker of a sports movie, this one based on an incredible short story. A family comes together to support a young farmer’s dreams.
49. Love and Basketball, 2000 – Two basketball phenoms, Quincy and Monica, meet time and again on and off the court. A few hot sex scenes intercut with great basketball footage.
50. Hoosiers, 1986 – Not a particularly “romantic” movie, your girlfriend will still love this chronicle of a team of high school misfit athletes as much as you do.
Romantic Comedies of the 90s
51. Sleepless in Seattle, 1993 – Don’t look for an original plot here – it borrows heavily from classic romantic films, especially An Affair To Remember. Still, performances by Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are classics of the genre.
52. As Good As It Gets, 1997 – This is that rare romantic comedy – one with a damn good script. Jack Nicholson turns in the performance of his lifetime.
53. Sense and Sensibility, 1995 – A solid script (which won an Oscar) anchors this adaptation of a novel usually avoided by men. Your girlfriend will think you’re brainy and romantic when you rent it.
54. Only You, 1994 – A love story based around a Ouija board. You’ll stick around for the sweet little plot and the soundtrack.
55. My Best Friend’s Wedding, 1997 – A woman (Julia Roberts) realizes her best friend is soon to be married — she also realizes she is in love with him.
56. Four Weddings and a Funeral, 1994 – Another romantic comedy from the 90s starring Hugh Grant. A box office smash centered around a man having an affair with a married woman (Andie Macdowell).
57. While You Were Sleeping , 1995 – A sentimental little film starring the then up and coming Sandra Bullock.
58. Notting Hill, 1999 – Perennial hotties Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts costar in the quintessential 90s romantic comedy.
59. Chasing Amy, 1997 – Kevin Smith’s most “adult” film finds a forlorn Ben Affleck in love with a hot lesbian.
60. Much Ado About Nothing, 1993 – Shakespeare’s odd comedy about identity confusion is given a fresh look — and Denzel Washington’s presence will more than pique the interest of your girlfriend.
61. The Wedding Singer, 1998 – Your girlfriend will finally put up with Adam Sandler’s shenanigans. A sweet storyline you can both enjoy.
62. There’s Something About Mary, 1998 – Guys, you know you love this film. Surprise – your girlfriend does too! The two of you will laugh yourselves silly. The gags are a mile a minute. This was a huge breakout hit for the Farrelly Brothers and for Ben Stiller.
63. Singles, 1992 – The cool Seattle grunge scene lends cred to this otherwise typical romantic comedy. Performances by Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and other bands make it worth a watch.
64. French Kiss, 1995 – Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline teach each other important life lessons in a beautiful Paris setting. The film’s not so great – your date may look to you to make things interesting.
65. One Fine Day, 1996 – Guys will love it for Michelle Pfeiffer – girls will love the old fashioned romantic storyline (and George Clooney).
66. The Truth About Cats and Dogs, 1996 – Identity confusion reigns supreme in this surprisingly enjoyable romantic comedy. Uma Thurman and Jamie Foxx turn in great performances long before they hit it big.
Unlikely Romantic Movies
67. Before Sunset, 2004 – Using a unique storytelling device, the film is basically one long extended dialogue between a man and a woman. Now you don’t have to say a work to your girlfriend.
68. What Dreams May Come, 1998 – Awesome visual effects and a unique storyline. Robin Williams in one of his first serious roles.
69. 50 First Dates, 2004 – Sensitive but still featuring that Adam Sandler edge, be on the lookout for a penguin featured as a main character.
70. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, 2004 – This is one of the more “realistic” romantic films. You and your date may not like one another very much after this film.
Romantic Movies in Foreign Languages
71. Amelie, 2001 – If your girlfriend is into guys who speak French, the language of love, fool her into thinking you’re sweet and sensitive. Rent this fun little romance.
72. Jules and Jim, 1962 – A rarity – a romantic movie for intellectuals. This French film features a spicy love triangle.
73. War and Peace, 1967 – Yes – THAT War and Peace. The Russian language always gets girls going.
74. Like Water for Chocolate, 1992 – If the beautiful Spanish bodies and fiery sex scenes don’t get the two of you going, then nothing will.
75. Black Orpheus, 1959 – A Brazilian film based on the Orpheus myth. The Carnivale backdrop should go a long way in getting you and your girl in the mood.
76. The Horseman on the Roof, 1995 – A nurse falls in love with a patient. Lather, rinse, repeat.
77. Camila, 1984 – A love story involving an Argentinian priest. Do I have to remind you how sexy women find the Spanish language?
78. Cyrano de Bergerac, 1990 – A pure love story, and a classic. If you liked Steve Martin’s Roxanne in the 80s, check out this poetic film.
79. The World of Apu, 1955 – The final part of a trilogy (and the only one worth watching), this is a beautiful story of human redemption with great performances by actors you’ve never heard of.
80. Il Postino, 1995 – The poetic script and beautiful cinematography will keep you two enchanted.
Romantic Horror Movies
81. Dracula, 1992 – There are plenty of versions to pick from – I think the 1992 version of this Gothic horror romance is the most watchable for modern audiences.
82. Sweeney Todd, 1936 – Skip the recent remakes of this classic story and go straight for the ’36 version.
83. An American Werewolf in Paris, 1997 – Werewolves. Paris. Mysterious potions. What more could you ask for in a romance?
84. Half Light, 2006 – A classic haunting movie featuring lots of steamy sex between the two leads, one of whom is dead.
85.The Eyes of the Panther, 2007 – A creepy and tense film that revolves around a troubled marriage. Based on an intensely creepy short story.
86. Insatiable, 2008 – Alright, okay, so it isn’t romantic in the least. Tell your girlfriend it is, and watch her squirm during the many gross-out scenes.
87. Zombie Honeymoon – If your girlfriend loves to laugh, she’ll love this campy treat.
88. Underworld, 2003 – Vampire warriors in love. Need I say more?
89. Disturbia, 2007 – Two teens fall in love while being hunted by a serial killer. Sweet and dark, like good chocolate. More of a thriller than a horror movie, but it’s still terrific.
90. Shaunof the Dead – The original “rom zom com” (romantic zombie comedy), you’ll have as much fun laughing as you will cuddling up to your girl during the scary bits.
Historical Romantic Movies
91. The Count of Monte Cristo, 2002 – Betrayal, adventure, revenge, romance . . . all the best parts of a romance movie without too much sappiness.
92. The Scarlet Pimpernel, 1999 – Want to convince your girl that you’re sensitive? Nothing says “softie” quite like a movie with a goofy name. Plus – sword fights. Lots of sword fights.
93. Jane Eyre, 1997 – The most provocative version of this often filmed story is sure to scoot your girlfriend closer to you on the couch.
94. Firelight, 1998 – An arthouse drama about a woman attempting to become pregnant (in the course of a single weekend.)
95. The Scarlet Letter, 1995 – With a much spicierending than the book you were forced to read in high school, this pretty and precise drama will further convince your girlfriend that you’re a brainiac.
5 Romantic Movies to Avoid
96. High Fidelity, 2000 – You and your girlfriend will come away from this movie with a strong desire to break up.
97. Saving Silverman, 2001 – Friends come between lovers. Not a good theme to focus on with your girlfriend.
98. Waking Up in Reno, 2002 – Another film that does what Hollywood does best – prove that relationships never last.
99. Sideways, 2004 – Besides proving that men are dolts, this film will identify you as a snob.
100. Alfie, 2004 – Jude Law galavants around and uses women for sex. Not exactly a great advertisement for males.